Local Strawberry, Basil and Gin Cocktail
Strawberry picking has always been one of my favourite activities to do at the beginning of each summer; there's something so sweet and sincere about heading out into a field on a scorching hot day to pick fresh strawberries, and of course, devouring a few pints in the process. I ventured out to Josmar Acres in Lynden this past weekend and I couldn't resist creating a refreshing cocktail with my gorgeous little bounty.
- 4-5 strawberries
- 1/2 oz simple syrup (equal parts sugar and hot water)
- 1/2 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1.5 oz gin (we used Tanqueray, but choose your preference)
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves
- ice cubes
1. Slice strawberries and place in bottom of cocktail shaker.
2. Add simple syrup and lemon juice to shaker and muddle all together.
3. Add gin and top with ice. Shake until chilled.
4. Gently muddle basil leaves in a rocks glass. (Gently muddling will release the natural oils without bruising the basil.)
5. Fill rocks glass with ice and double strain cocktail into glass. (Use a cocktail strainer and a fine mesh strainer.)
6. Top with soda. Finish by garnishing with more basil and half a strawberry. Enjoy!